Monday, April 23, 2007

A few odds and ends.

1.) I think I may knock off a few liquor stores so I can get the money to buy a laptop. I have this odd sense that it might encourage me to write more often, as I'm generally loathe to sit down at this archaic beast to do anything but watch (legally obtained?!) television shows or put on music. Desktop computers are really fucking boring now that I don't use one for gaming. And nobody really seems to IM anymore with the advent of Facebook and every other shitty community Web 2.0 outlet that's turned the internet into some boring self-interested high-school wankfest. Yawn! Tell you what, world, if I'm really interested in seeing nine-thousand pictures of you getting drunk with your friends, I'll leave you a note. By fuckin' e-mail. Not on your "wall".

(I don't really care that much, but since everyone uses Facebook and bugs me to use it, I like to rail against it as passionately and frequently as possible)

2.) I really wish the term "monolith" meant something else so it could be readily applied to all manner of situations. It's a great word, but so specific as to defy common usage (or, really, even infrequent usage). I've taken to referencing 2001: A Space Odyssey at inappropriate times just so I can vary between using the terms "monolith" and "obelisk" as many times a day as I can. Of course, then we'd just need to come up with a new term for a giant stone tower, and it would probably be even better and we'd be right back here again, and I'd be petitioning the fates to free this new term and re-shackled "monolith". Whatever.

3.) If I don't like Victoria when I move there, I think I might follow through on my backup plan and write NASA volunteering to man a one-way shuttle voyage into the far reaches of space. I doubt we'd get very far before I kicked it, but you never know. We'll say, with proper freeze-dried food, suitable entertainment (to stave off suicidal tendencies), and a bit of luck when it comes to serious disease, I could probably make ten to fifteen years. Now that I think about it, that's pretty fuckin' lame. Maybe I'll wait on this until they at least master space travel well enough to get me into another solar system.

4.) I'll write something in here again sometime in the next six months. Promise. And there won't be any more parking entries. The last one was boring, but I thought I'd let you all know how it ended anyway. Cheers!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too agree with point number one. While I don't think using the internet as a social *insert buzzword* tool is in itself a horrible thing, the prevalence and popularity of these websites is unfortunate. I read somewhere a little while ago that 1% of all the time spent on the internet in the US is spent on Facebook. That is staggering.

I have to think that the tide will turn away from these sites eventually. The fundamental flaw with Facebook (at least as it is currently) is that once you've found that guy from your grade 2 class and are updated on his life to date, there's no real want or need for further interaction. The real fun of Facebook is all over within the first few weeks (or sooner depending on the computer literacy of your acquaintances.)

Hopefully all of these web 2.0 garbagefests will play themselves out sooner than later.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Oh, totally. And I don't even hate Facebook, per se, I'm just vaguely uncomfortable with the whole concept of an incestuous social network so ubiquitous that you either A) insult people by denying them full access to freely explore the thick foliage of your social tree, or B) create some bizarre virtual high-school wherein anyone and everyone you know keeps tabs on everyone else. As someone who varies from anything ranging between mild and severe social anxiety, this can be unsettling.

And, aside from that, I can only have so many banal "What have you been up to for the past ten to fifteen years?" conversations before the trite insincerity of the whole shebang grates my nerves to a fine talcum-like powder. I'm sure they're all unique and beautiful snowflakes, you know.

And I'm also pretty sure I'll end up on there soon enough, if only to leave people intolerably smug and inexplicable messages in an endless game of oneupsmanship! And, more importantly, to keep my girlfriend happy, which is far more important than my newfound Web Luddite status ;)

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home